Dave and Linda from Monkeyshines in the Kitchen chose Soufflés as our November 2010 Daring Cooks' Challenge! Dave and Linda provided many of their own delicious recipes plus a sinfully decadent chocolate soufflé recipe adapted from Gordon Ramsay's recipe found at the BBC Good Food website.
I'd made soufflé once and not to mention it was a disaster (the whole open-the-door-and falling-together thing). To prevent further ones, I decided for a savoury recipe which wouldn't rise that much anyway. I spotted some really nice sweet potatoes at the supermarket and remembered I hadn't cooked something with them a long time - and I love sweet potatoes by the way (especially baked in the oven with some mozarella on top...). Luckily I found a recipe I could make a soufflé with them, and it was awesome. According to my boyfriend "einfach geil" what means 'simply wicked' ...
Sweet Potato and Gruyère Soufflé (from Epicurious)
- 1/2 cup/50 g freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 cup/ 210 g finely chopped onion (about 3 medium-sized)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons/ 30 g unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons/15 g all-purpose flour
- 1 cup/236 ml milk
- 1 cup / 100 g coarsely grated Gruyère (about 3 ounces)
- 2 cups /675 g mashed cooked sweet potatoes (about 2 big potatoes)
- 4 large eggs, separated