Daring Bakers February Challenge: Quick Breads - Lemon Loaf with blueberries

The Daring Bakers’ February 2012 host was – Lis! Lis stepped in last minute and challenged us to create a quick bread we could call our own. She supplied us with a base recipe and shared some recipes she loves from various websites and encouraged us to build upon them and create new flavor profiles.

I was glad it was a quick and easy challenge this time. Because I am preparing for my birthday brunch there was not much time left for additional elaborate baking. At first I was a little bit confused - quick breads without yeast - sounded not tasty at all. But then I discovered the leaf recipes and was glad, especilly about the Meyer Lemon loaf one. I would love to use them, but they are not availiable in Germany, what a pity! I love lemon recipes and decided to add some fresh fruits to moisten it instead of brushing it with syrup (the recipes are often very sweet, so I already reduce the sugar content). The combination with blueberries is great as tested before. To get a similar taste to Meyer lemons, I used a mixture of lemon and orange zests and orange and lemon juice. The cake is my birthday cake for work, so I hope my colleagues will like it as I do.

  
Lemon Loaf with blueberries
Makes two 8” x 5” (20 x 13 cm) loaves
Adapted from Recipe Girl’s Meyer Lemon Loaf

  •  375 gm + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • ¾ teaspoon  baking powder
  • zest of 2 lemons and an orange
  • 250 gm white granulated sugar
  • 6 large eggs, at room temperature
  • ¾ cup (180 ml) sour cream or creme fraiche, at room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons (30 ml) rum (can omit – I did!)
  • 1½ tablespoons (22½ ml) fresh lemon juic
  • pinch of salt
  • 9 tablespoons (135 ml) (125 gm/4½ oz/1 stick + 1 tablespoon) butter, melted and cooled
  • 150 g fresh blueberries
Preheat oven to moderate 350°F/180°C/gas mark 4. Butter and flour two 8” x 5” (20 x 13 cm) loaf pans. Sift together flour and baking powder; set aside. Place sugar, lemon zest, and eggs into a large mixing bowl and beat with a whisk until the mixture is a light lemon color and thickened a bit. This can also be done with a mixer. Whisk in sour cream, then salt, then rum (if using) and lemon juice. Gently whisk in the flour in four parts, then whisk in the butter in three parts. You’ll have a thick, pourable batter flecked with lemon zest. Coat the blueberries with the 2 tablespoons of flour (that will prevent them from turning green during the baking process). Add to the batter and mix gently.
Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool.

Keine Kommentare: